This is the perfect holiday drink. Spicy, sweet, and creamy, this has helped ease my sugar cravings. AND it’s packed with iron and protein, so I’ve been loving it post-workouts. It would also be a party-hit (shall we add some bourbon to this too?) or lovely fireside.
The key ingredient here is blackstrap molasses, which, compared to red meat, provides more iron for less calories and is totally fat-free. Those following a plant-based diet are often on the quest for more iron. One tablespoon of molasses has about 3.5 g of iron, plus other nutrients like copper, manganese, potassium, and magnesium. It’s a brilliant natural sweetener as it’s low glycemic, meaning it won’t spike your blood sugar levels and lead to more cravings.
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I use almond or cashew)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1-2 tbsp blackstrap molasses (start with 1 and adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 inch freshly peeled ginger (or 1-2 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (or 1-2 tsp vanilla extract)
- warm spices to taste (Optional. I do cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, all spice)
- Blend all ingredients until smooth! Add water or more milk if you’d like a thinner consistency.