Cold weather calls for chili, and chili calls for cornbread. I’ve been craving warm cornbread like Mom used to make, but most of the pre-made stuff is loaded with sugar, salt, dairy. After several batches, I came up with a recipe that’s absolutely delicious, gluten free, vegan, super moist, and satisfying. Warm with honey for a sweet dessert muffin!
- 1 cup organic unsweetened almond milk (or coconut milk)
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs ground flax meal
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups ground cornmeal (choose fine or medium ground for best results)
- 1 tsp sea salt (I use pink himalayan sea salt)
- 2 Tbs maple syrup or 4 Tbs date syrup
- 1/4 cup organic unsweetened plain apple sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Turn on oven to 375 degrees.
- Add vinegar and ground flax to almond milk, whisk, and set aside.
- Whisk or stir dry ingredients together: baking powder, baking soda, corn meal, sea salt
- Whisk or stir wet ingredients together: syrup, applesauce, coconut oil
- Add milk/vinegar slowly to wet ingredients
- Add wet to dry slowly, and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared muffin tin. I prefer silicone baking cups. (Don’t use muffin liners, as they absorb the oil leaving you with a dry, crumbly muffin.)
- Place in oven for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out of largest muffin cleanly.
- Cool for 10 minutes before popping out of molds.
- Enjoy warm!
Yields 12 medium sized muffins
Recipe adapted from Natural Maker Mom